Followers

Friday, April 6, 2012

The Gambia Experience

My Experience of Fishing and Holidays in the Gambia goes back to the late eighties in those days it seemed a place that was so far away i had seen John Wilson on the TV and that's what i wanted to do i contacted Mark Longster some Reports Here on the white warrior for some boat fishing he did the business way back then a really experienced guy that could put you on the Fish. 
Below a 31lb Cassava which is a pretty large fish for the species,but really i don't want to go back to then i am a angler that looks forward and on the 16th of April i will be revisiting The Gambia with My wife Carol, a special treat for me ,and the rods will be coming too,,but here is a couple of pictures from those days,,not always been a Bass Man ,,



31LB Cassava on Bait fishing with Mark Longster in 1989
  I Did take to the beaches in those days and the Red Snappers were common and were great sport on the beachcasters on the night trips ,i also had a snapper off mark longsters boat of 28lbs that took a  Rapala J11 stationary off the top ,,
a fine snapper off the shore Gambia 1988
 Some times the African trophy shot can get out of hand ,,,,,,Here the Barracuda were going mental on the boat with snapper and cassava ,but for me just happy memories of times gone by ,,,
Over 200LBS of fish for the locals in the area,,,Trophy shots not my style in todays Bass world
 The Barracuda came thick and Fast but just buggered your lures but great sport ,,

 And below the main reason i am going back to the Gambia on the 16th of April,, Carol my Wife ,,thanks love what a brilliant i love you Present ,,so lets hope the fish will still be there and play a little ball for old times sake,,and we can get a few,
if not i will just have to take you to the Bar,,,

I will get a report up as soon as we get back and fingers crossed ,,,


4 comments:

Manel said...

I look forward to that report.
Greetings.

dan hill said...

Dad! I seem to remember us been very sea sick back in them days, get yourself back up here and help me chase some pike!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing
I really like

Carp Fishing said...

I have the book which is a great read, the above is very informative and I'm looking forward to trying out some of your ideas over the coming months. And The best beginner book on fly fishing that was recommended to me over 30 years ago was "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" still just as relevant and a good read for every beginning fly fisherman.

MAD DOG 100f 16g super lure

Made in China well in my eyes they have sorted out a few bad press problems with this beatiful lure a well crafted lure that sits really nic...